Engineer, Planning – Champlain network
Permanent full-time position – 37.5 hr. /week
2014 Salary : between $ 68 091,03 and $ 97 535,81
Wherever the masculine gender appears, it shall also mean the feminine gender.
At Jacques Cartier and Champlain Bridges Incorporated (JCCBI), our teams work together to ensure the safe passage of users by managing, maintaining and rehabilitating infrastructures while optimizing traffic flow and respecting the environment.
Join JCCBI for an exciting career! Join a growing organization that offers interesting challenges.
As Engineer, Planning, the incumbent will work in the Planning department, overseeing planning of the major maintenance program on the Champlain Bridge, the federally-owned section of the Bonaventure Expressway, the 15 Expressway and the ice control structure, by defining projects based on available internal and external information. As such, he will provide support and technical assistance to managers, receive and analyze annual inspection reports, various other reports, and evaluation assessments, prepare the life-cycle cost analysis, and prepare the documents required to establish the work program. He will participate in the needs analysis and the drafting of professional services contracts to ensure the planning/coordination of work, and the preparation of project briefs. This includes overseeing planning, tracking budgets, costs, deadlines, and quality, as well as analyzing and processing claims and addenda for the management of planning contracts.
Asset management (20%)
- Document the Corporation’s body of knowledge;
- Develop and maintain medical files on structures;
- Develop and update life-cycle costs of structures;
- Collaborate with the Operations and Maintenance department on developing and updating the regular maintenance program for the structures.
Planning and analysis of pending work (20%)
- Prepare the budget plan, adding internal and external recommendations and grouping projects together;
- Work with the inspection unit to obtain results in order to update the 10-year plan;
- Integrate the life-cycle costs into the 10-year budget plan;
- Draft documents (and supporting documents) related to the budget plan;
- Draw up plans for projects included in the budget plan and obtain authorizations;
- Preparer work plans (project groupings, work optimization, etc.) and obtain authorizations;
- Disseminate the plan in collaboration with the Communications and IT departments.
Project follow-up (20%)
- Prepare and maintain five (5)-year master project schedules to ensure programs are fully implemented;
- Monitor the progress of projects to ensure programs are implemented:
- Attend evaluation assessment meetings, and discussions of drawings and specifications with the Engineering department;
- Identify risks and review priorities.
- Identify the main challenges of the projects and conduct follow-ups;
- Occasionally participate in annual inspections jointly with the Engineering department;
- Track the overall progress of the construction work;
- Participate in external committees with partners.
Preparation of project briefs (20%)
- Depending on the nature of the projects, in collaboration with the Engineering department:
- Prepare project briefs internally;
- Supervise and monitor project briefs prepared externally.
Contract management (10%)
- Prepare reference terms for the attribution of work planning/coordination contracts to consultants;
- Manage these contracts with consultants hired by the Corporation;
- Obtain authorization for additional work, track progress in order to pay consultants, and monitor work deadlines and financial forecasts;
- Coordinate the professional services of consultants hired for ongoing projects in collaboration with the Director, Planning;
- Ensure compliance of deliverables with the requirements of the contract specifications.
- Participate in the revision of procedures;
- Assist with supervising the Technical Agent, Planning;
- Follow up on information for meetings with partners (Info-RTU);
- Participate in the future implementation of management tools and inventories related to the structures;
- Optimize documentation on the state of the structures in collaboration with the Engineering department (reference drawings with illustrated recommendations).
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering with at least eight (8) years’ experience in the field and five (5) years’ experience in engineering works and project management;
- Good understanding of the issues related to construction work and traffic coordination;
- Additional academic training in project management and/or in risk management would be an asset;
- Member in good standing of the Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec (OIQ);
- Familiarity with construction standards related to roads, bridges and engineering works would be an asset;
- Ability to track and manage assigned contracts, including assessing the work, holding meetings, and negotiating payments;
- Ability to access the structures via fixed or mobile devices; not afraid of heights or confined spaces;
- Knowledge of recognized safety standards applicable to the construction industry;
- Good knowledge of MS Project, Excel, Access, Word, Outlook and Internet Explorer;
- Excellent written French skills and very good knowledge of English (oral and written);
- Strong teamwork skills;
- Good judgement and decision-making abilities;
- Independent and takes initiative;
- Demonstrate initiative, good organization skills, and efficient time and priority management skills;
- Ability to manage priorities within tight deadlines and several projects simultaneously;
- Resourceful, curious, and strong documentation skills;
- Participation in and contribution to team efforts;
- Desire to support the objectives, mission and values of the organization.
Further your career in a stimulating and pleasant environment in a solid organization whose key values are teamwork, transparency, thoroughness, innovation and commitment.
The job location is easily accessible by public transit and automobile (parking available). We offer competitive compensation and a full benefits package, which includes a federal public service pension plan.
Join the Bridge family by sending your résumé and cover letter to:
Mr. Martial Prud’homme
2010 Université Street
You can visit us at: www.jccbi.ca